Common issues with relocation after divorce

Law Offices of Stephanie L. Mahdavi A Professional Law Corporation Child Custody

Divorcees with children often make difficult decisions about child custody. It is even more difficult when one of the parents is moving out of state. Perhaps you or your former spouse have landed a new job in another town or maybe one of you wants to live closer to relatives. Whatever the reasons are, this move could complicate things when one of the parties doesn’t agree. Also, a move means you won’t be able to keep up your current visitation agreement. You may need to hire a Thousand Oaks child custody attorney to fight this legal battle.

Your custody order

With 60% of Americans moving out every year, families are becoming more mobile, especially divorced parents who face many problems with their custody orders. Although residential parents are generally allowed to move within a certain radius, many times they relocate beyond those limits. However, both, the custodial and noncustodial parent must consent otherwise they will face several legal issues.

Relocation can be challenging

Relocation is never easy since it can affect the whole family. But sometimes it is the best decision for everyone, even when you have to distance your children from your former spouse. This is why so many divorcees can’t agree and turn to a Thousand Oaks child custody attorney to make a decision for them.

Reach a compromise

This is always the best approach. Talk to your former spouse. Perhaps you can find a solution together. If you are the residential parent moving out, you can suggest some things such as:

  • Allowing your children to spend more time with your ex over long weekends and school breaks.
  • Your children will be available for visits when your former spouses come to visit them.
  • You will drive or fly your children to your ex for scheduled visits.
  • Your former spouse will get to talk to the children via phone, text, email, Skype, and so on.

What will happen at the hearing?

If you and your former spouse can’t work out an agreement on your own, you may need the help of a family law attorney in your area. Remember decisions are always made based on the best interests of the child. Just because your decision benefits the family, it doesn’t mean it will benefit your child. For instance, if you landed a better job, you need to show how this new job will benefit your child. You can tell the judge that this decision is in your child’s best interests as it will provide a stable home, more opportunities, and a better life for your child.

You may have to talk about the reasons why you are moving, the place you will live, what school your child will attend, extracurricular activities, and so on. Just make sure the court understands that you will not be moving again and that you plan to stay in this location permanently. Have a good visitation plan so your child can keep in touch on a regular basis with your former spouse. A family law attorney can help you figure out what’s the best course of action.

Share us with:

    Contact Us

    * Fields are required

    By clicking submit, you are agreeing to the Privacy Policy.