When child support is not enough

Law Offices of Stephanie L. Mahdavi A Professional Law Corporation Child Support

With the cost of living rising and your children’s expenses growing as they age, you may want to consider petitioning more child support or finding a second job. Single parents particularly have a difficult time raising children on their own. Child support is never enough to cover all the expenses. Some parents are resentful and angry either because they feel the child support they provide goes to their exes instead of the children or because the money they receive is not enough to raise their children. Contact a Westlake Village child support attorney to advise you about the steps you should take in your child support case.

What can you do?

If you feel your child support is not enough, perhaps it’s time to find a new job or a second job. Try to cut back some expenses that are not necessary for you or the children. There is always alternative fun that could be as entertaining to them such as going to the beach instead of the movie theater, taking them to a more affordable toy or clothing store. It takes time and practice but it can be fun. You will be surprised how your children, depending on their age, can help you with the planning. Whatever you do, make sure you include ‘budget’ in your wish list. Use coupons, discounts, and wait for those special sales to buy expensive items you may need for the house.

Child support modification

You may need a legal fight with your ex but remember it’ll benefit the children and help you avoid many headaches along the road. It’s all about proving that your circumstances have dramatically changed therefore your children need more child support.

Some acceptable circumstances include:

  • The child has more medical needs.
  • You are either ill or disabled.
  • You or your ex is earning less or more.
  • The child is now living with the non-custodial parent.

How a Westlake Village child support attorney can help

Perhaps you have reached that point in your life as a parent when you realize you can’t do it all alone. You are not longer a super mom or super dad, and you simply need to ask for help. Whether by requesting a child support modification, seeking counsel, adjusting your budget, or talking to your ex, it’s time you take action. Sometimes stress can slow down your decision-making process and you may need someone by your side that’ll help you make important decisions. Whatever your situation is, remember you are not alone. There is plenty of help out there. All you need is a simple phone call and your world will change.

Some questions you may ask your attorney include:

  • Can I ask for more child support if my ex received a raise?
  • How much time before I request a modification?
  • What evidence do I need to back up my request?
  • How much more will the child support increase?

Contact a Westlake Village child support attorney from the Law Offices of Stephanie L. Mahdavi today and we’ll answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your child support modification.

Share us with:

    Contact Us

    * Fields are required

    By clicking submit, you are agreeing to the Privacy Policy.